Wednesday, May 11, 2016

A cruise to the Bahamas and CocoCay with some of my best friends! (Jennifer)

A cruise to the Bahamas?

* * *

Lately I've been getting a little bit overwhelmed with 'work-mode'.  As I've been trying to save up money for a big trip in late July, I've embarked on three individual business plans, and I'm working my butt off trying to make them all work out.

I've been self-coaching twice a week, giving myself homework assignments which I complete at coffee shops between actual work shifts at my office or at the school.

In the meantime I'm still maintaining a social life, with all its accompanying planning and schedule juggling, I'm still planning to take a couple expensive classes AND go visit my father before I leave on my trip.

In short my brain is constantly in budgeting-mode, scheduling-mode, and marketing-mode.

It's exhausting.

It's also very new, because as many of you may know, I've spent much of my life being the local expert in 'kicking back my feet and being a minimalist of effort...an ethical hedonist who plays all day and works only enough to pay the bills.'

So, this muscle of consistent productivity?   What a great muscle to be developing!  I've been wanting to build it for a while.  But I'm tired.  Muscles need a rest.

They need...a cruise.  To the bahamas.  With some of my best friends.

Here's what I've started doing:

In the morning, I sip a metaphorical daiquiri before even getting out of bed.  I lay there and I ask myself, "What feels good right now?"  Maybe my left foot feels nice and warm and happy.  Maybe my chest feels loose and relaxed from a long sleep.  If I notice my mind racing towards my next appointment, I'll ask "what feels good about that?"  and enjoy the rush, the energy buzzing through my system.  Then I'll enjoy the warm left foot again.

Once I've really savored the peace of that morning daiquiri, I'll get up, and slowly, with nice full breaths, start moving.  Maybe write a blog post, maybe play some music.  Take it easy.  A morning cruise.

Eventually I'll be working again, chugging along through the day- but here and there, if I feel that intensity getting overwhelming again, I'll pause, look outside, notice the distant icebergs and the tropical trees and the dodo birds flying around me, and ask again "what feels good right now?"

Come evening time, I'll start doing the same routine.  If I'm lucky I'll have a friend to cuddle up with and watch a movie, or to grumble and vent about life.  Maybe I'll ask them to scratch my head.  Because every cruise should have a massage or two.









No comments:

Post a Comment